Skip to main content

Chronicles of NYSC camp - CAMP LIST

Now everyone except me knew about the marching, and everyone except me was prepared for the terrible conditions of the toilets, so I think a proper list of things to take to cam is in order.
Sun screen: fine, you may think you don’t need it, but male or female, you really do. Even if you are black, even if you are posted to a cold area, the sun will always be there. The sun shines harder in cold areas, and flat lands. You need it to protect your skin complexion as well as to protect you from the sun’s harmful rays. BUY any lotion that has sunscreen as one of its properties. I left home with ordinary cream, with a fair complexion. I came back, black, with only one part of my body testifying of my former skin hue – the part that my bra covers everyday. The sun penetrates the white shirt (we call it tissue paper cos it tears like tissue during the first wash) and shorts that the officials give you.
Pillow: they will never give you one, so if you know you cannot live without it then take yours from home. Alternatively you could BUY one at triple the original price from Mammi market.
Bucket: you can take yours, or also buy at triple the price from Mammi. Some even bought more than one, to use in washing (girls of course).
Whites: you need to buy white shirts and shorts because the ones you will be given in the camp re almost always of inferior quality. The shirts we were given were like tissue paper, and the shorts were short. BUY shirts that are plain, BYC shirts with nothing written on them, so if you end up in a camp that is unnecessarily strict about wearing only the ones given to you, the ones you bought will still get pass mark.
Hair: guys, there will be barber stalls at Mammi, but are you willing to risk infection? Have a perfect cut the day before you go to camp. Girls, you need to do something that can be maintained, or you would have to do your hair again at the ridiculously expensive salon stalls in Mammi market. Choose Ghana weaving for long-lasting freshness, or take extra money to redo your hair after the second week.
Miscellaneous: bathroom slippers, torchlight plus batteries, toiletries like bathing soap, sponge, toothbrush, paste can be bought from Mammi if you prefer to carry lighter load.
Travelling box: it should better be something you can balance on your head, because that is the first thing that you will be asked to do as a form of exercise, so be prepared.
Church wear: I totally forgot about this one, and followed the no – mufti rule to the letter. You can carry whatever you want, to wear to church on Sundays. There are three Sundays on camp, so be prepared. Some girls even brought aso – oke, expensive lace, and satellite dish geles. All I had was jeans. BRING mufti for church, and mufti for the special occasions – Welcome party, Camp fire night and Social night (some girls were dressed to kill for this one).
Water Heater: if you can, you could smuggle in a plastic electric kettle, or even buy it from the Mammi market later. The weather is almost always cold and I heard in one camp that someone was selling hot water for thirty naira per bucket. Imagine that.
Charger: if there are no sockets for charging your phone in your room, you would have come prepared. In fact, it is better to charge your battery with a universal charger, and feel okay if you leave it behind, go to the field and return, than to charge your phone the normal way, and it disappears mysteriously during parade. I advice getting a universal charger, and charging the battery instead. Also BUY an adaptor to use because the sockets will always be occupied no matter the time of day..

I think that is about it.

Comments

xi said…
My dear, you forgot the mosquito net o. How could you forget that? Thats like, the most important thing you need. The kind of mosquitoes that were in my camp were agbero mosquitoes, the type that use straws to arrange us. You know what SWAT means? It means ppl who are trained in Special Weapons And Tactics. Well, those mosquitoes were SWAT trained, and no matter how much you swat at them (yeah yeah, pun intended, sue me!), you wont kill any o, they'll dodge you with some kine acrobatics.

At a point, I was beginning to believe that they were un-tucking my mosquito net from under the matress sef to get at me.

And my dear, did you leave out a torchlight intentionally? You wan go match snake for head?

Most importantly, you didnt mention chops. Provisions. Grubs. Whatever language you choose, they're essential o, because the food served in the camp dining halls are strictly for sustenance, not nutrition!
Daydah said…
@xi: nice. You must have gone prepared for the worst.
xi said…
Incidentally, I did.

Ironically, I was proved wrong, cos in spite of everything, I had soooo much fun!

Meanwhile, you havent told me who you think I am o...!

Popular posts from this blog

EKITI KETE

What is this wahala now? Why must such a tiny state in Nigeria cause so much wahala? It is not even in the center, it is not even an original state but a cut out of another. I really dont understand why every newspaper feels they must print something about Ekiti on the front page every single day. And this has been the case since it was created. The latest sensation is the election rerun that even our busy President had to take time to go and see. I mean, you would think with all the monitoring eyes, everything would run smoothly but no, another twist in the saga has been announced.
The outside world thinks we should be ashamed of ourselves. I a just praying that it does not get bloody, and that Ekiti will stop trying to keep attention all the time.

Am not dissing Ekiti o[that was for Vicky who will soon be my husband, so he'll not quote me after the wedding - he's from Ekiti :D]. Am just saying they should behave themselves.

Ironblogging - Blogging a week at a time

One of the results of attending CMS Africa 2016 in Kampala, Uganda, was the creation of an Ironblogger network, IBCOCO. The intent was simple: there is a huge huge benefit from having an online presence, for every business, and blogging frequently is one of the ways to achieve this.

Plans List?Carried out or not?

Have you ever planned the next year of your life and then after a few months, realized that nothing went according to plan? Well it happened to me. Back in October, I knew where I wanted to be in a year's time: I was going to be married, with my husband and I studying in a foreign country for masters degrees. We had applied and then things began to happen.
First my Dad felt I was rushing to get married (Never mind that he'd insisted when I was 17 that by the time I reach my age, I should have given him 2 grandkids for him to spoil). Then my acclaimed alma mater university refused to send my transcripts to the schools I had applied to. As if that was not enough, I had not taken my TEOFL exam which was required to apply.

Its now June. I lost the admissions because my transcripts never arrived even though my university claims they have sent it. My father has finally agreed to let me get married BUT at his own convenient time, and his own way (he has just declared he doesnt want us …