BIG CHUNK OF TIME: seven years

Where were you seven years ago? Well, I will tell you where i was. I was at a crossroads of some sort. i had just finished my high school education and didnt really know which way forward. It seemed i was going to be a daddy's girl and read medicine like he wanted me to. But I look back now and wonder how i would have turned out if I had.
As God would have it, I read Computer science - a course that i did not come in contact with until after my high school grad. I read it in a public university and ended up spending six years doing a four year course thanks to the incessant strikes and disruptions in our school calendar. Recently I went to my alma mater - Babcock University, for a visit.
It was so.....different. Everything had changed - the school, the university - everything! I didnt know anywhere anymore. i went with my brother, and it soon began to look like I was the prodigal personm, because it seemed at every five steps, i encountered my juniors from high school, who were in JSS1 when i was in SSS3 back then. And they all remembered me- said i hadnt changed, just added a bit of weight. It was a humbling experience. I dont know what I expected, but i didnt expect to feel so old and ancient, especially when I went to the high school compound, and realised that there had been a lot of changes. In fact, everything had changed.
This new year, I think i should include the past in my plans, that is, that i should also intend to make my mark, however small. Its funny how things are now - if not for two teachers left over from my time, i would have gone through the school unknown.
For you alumni reading this, pls spread the word to others here in Naija that i can't reach that next week friday and saturday are being observed as founder's weekend (remember? 26th of January?). Happy new year to you all once again!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happyness

NYSC - national delay or service? Answer

I WALKED