We are not Edom

 I know its been a minute I posted to this blog... make that ten minutes. Several times I have reached for my phone to type my thoughts, but the drive to actually post isn't there. Today that ends.

Happy New Year x how many years? 6? 12?

2024 finds me rounding up my master's degree program in Rwanda, and let me tell you, the feeling is way different from when I was in my undergraduate degree program 18 years ago. Wait... if I'd had a kid back then, s/he would be a full-grown adult this year... wooow.

I actually don't find the fact that I'm older than most of the lecturers odd - I try not to think about the time lost while getting into and trying to rise above the 'presents' Life gave me since 2009. I focus on learning a lot from my peers and the teachers. I'm trying to soak up as much as I can and to catch up you see.

Today I want to share what I learned about Africans, but let me first give you context.

Our lecturer had schooled in South Korea, and we all listened in wonder as he described the crime-free and secure environment that the country, and I couldn't help comparing that to the Lagos, Nigeria that I know. The conversation switched to the question: Are Africans cursed? My answer was yes, its even in the Bible. One classmate graciously asked that I send her the verses that support that.

And that's when my re-learning on that topic took place.

You see, it was taught to me when I was in high school (that was several decades ago, I assure you) that Africa, Edom, is cursed. That we are descended from Esau and of course, he was cursed and Jacob was blessed. I had accepted the fact that the African race was battling a curse and that's why the continent was not as developed as its peers.

Brethren, I was wrong.

FACTS

1. The Curse of Canaan: The Curse of Ham is a biblical story that has been interpreted in various ways, including its relation to the African diaspora. In the story, Noah curses his (grand)son, Ham's son, Canaan, and this curse has been interpreted as a justification for slavery and the subordination of African peoples. However, a closer examination of the biblical text and historical context reveals that the curse was not meant to apply to all descendants of Ham and does not support the idea of eternal slavery for black Africans.

2. The Actions of Doeg the Edomite: In 1 Samuel 21:7, it says Doeg the Edomite was there to witness David being given food and Goliath's sword, by the priest. Doeg was in charge of King Saul's sheep. Later when King Saul heard about David having 400 men with him, he got angry and accused his followers of betraying him. Doeg could not keep his mouth shut - without being asked, he told King Saul of David's visit to the priest. This led to the death of almost all the priests in Nob - only one escaped to tell David. And who else raised his hand to slaughter them by this same Doeg.

3. Edom is NOT Africa: In terms of location, Edom was a territory to the southeast of Israel/Judah, in what is now southwestern Jordan, between the Dead Sea and the Gulf of Aqaba. The biblical traditions consider Edom to be the land of the descendants of Esau, the twin brother of Jacob. The area includes the famous site at Petra in Jordan and is closely associated with the hill country of Seir in the Hebrew Bible.

This led me to conclude that:

  1. Africa is not Edom.
  2. Africa is not cursed.
The Curse on Africa is one of the major excuses we use to justify the backwardness of the continent. Instead of teaching another person what I had imbibed without question, decades ago, I learned the truth.
Africa needs to work this new era. If we shed our excuses, and creatively work around our shortcomings, I believe we can thrive as a continent.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happyness

NYSC - national delay or service? Answer

I WALKED